August 3, 2005

Parenting is HARD

Sometimes I think it is just so hard to parent my children. Today was a hard day. :( Sometimes my wonderful little boys just want to be children, you know play and have a good time. I come along and have to ruin their good time. I hate that I have to set restrictions and create boundaries for them. I feel like I am the one who does it most of the time, so I feel like the big owly old mom. Nick works all day and comes home and does fun stuff, still sticking within the boundaries of course. But, he's not making them adhere to these guidelines all day.

Sometimes I feel that Ethan has it the worst. You know I always swore that I would treat my children the same. But, I have learned that it is impossible. Each child is different and each age requires different guidelines and restrictions. Since Ethan is the oldest I feel that he is supposed to "understand" more than Aidan. Sometimes I think I am asking him to help out more than a 5 year old should be doing. So, I have to just let some things go and let him keep being the wonderful kid he is right now. I don't want to make him bitter or resentful towards his two little brothers, so I've learned to relax and not ask him to help so much. It's just difficult because he is a good little helper. :)

Aidan on the other hand can't always understand that Ethan is older and gets to do some things that he can't. For example, Ethan is ready to start kindergarten and he made some good friends in preschool. He gets invited to playdates and Aidan can't go with him. I have to listen to Aidan cry and ask/beg to stay and play too. :( It breaks my heart. I try to make him understand that he is starting preschool this year and will make his own friends to have playdate with, but he is just 3. I try and do something a little special with him on those days, but it's just not the same.

Ok Joana, if you are reading I am on the edge of my seat waiting to know how Nate died (Six Feet Under)!!! I am still so shocked about that one!! I am so hoping they come out with it quickly on DVD. I was so faithful watching it every other season, I feel sad that I'm missing this one. How cheesey is that, it's just a TV show. But, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. I was so totally addicted from the very first episode I caught.

I forgot to talk about our adventure on Friday. I took the boys up to Rockford to the Discovery Center Children's museum. Anyone in the area that hasn't been I highly recommend it. It was only $13 for me and the boys to get in and a membership is only $55, which I am thinking of getting next year. It was a very fun place for the kids. It's a interactive learning center. They had so much fun and didn't even realize how much they were learning. We were there for 5 hours and didn't even see everything! We are hoping to make a trip back with Nick because I think he would enjoy it as much as the kids. :)

No comments: