July 14, 2005

Potty training woes

When my first son potty trained he did it late, 3 1/2, but he did overnight and through the day all at once. Like I said, he was late but it was very easy once he decided to do it. Now I'm working on Aidan and he is just stubborn about the whole thing. He is approaching 3 1/2 and I know he is very ready.

I decided yesterday to take his diapers away, except for bedtime. He has gone on the potty before, just hasn't been consistent. Well, I've vowed to stay home until he gets it. No matter how many loads of laundry I need to do. For awhile I thought he didn't understand the feeling of needing to go. But, lately when he's been getting out of the bathtub he starts asking for a diaper because he's going to "tinkle" (as he says). So, I know he knows when he needs to go, he's just being bull headed! He's known for quite some time when he needs to have a bowel movement, so that shouldn't be any problem. Crossing my fingers!

I guess I'm feeling a little guilty for just yanking his security of diapers away. But, he's supposed to start preschool at the end of August. Not only that, I think he's just needs a little nudge to get going.

Here's hoping things go well and I'm not screwing him up by forcing the issue.

No comments: