July 20, 2005

Ethan

I thought I would provide a little history on my children. :) I will start with my first born, Ethan.

We started trying to get pregnant in May of 1999. Just after our third anniversary (July 6th), I took a pregnancy test that turned out positive. I really didn't expect it to happen so quickly, but was very happy and grateful that it did happen. I took the test by myself on a Friday night, Nick was out working in the yard. He had wanted me to wait until the weekend was over, but I just couldn't stand waiting any longer. When I saw that second line starting to appear I thought my heart was going to burst right out of my chest. I quickly ran out and gave Nick the news. I then quickly called my good friend and co-worker, as we were both trying to get pregnant.

My pregnancy was really uneventful. I had awful 24 hour "morning sickness". I think I only threw up once or twice, but felt nauseas ever other hour. I was working on getting my bachelor degree at the time and was thankful we were on a break (it was set on trimesters). So, I was able to come home from work and SLEEP! Anything to avoid feeling sick all the time. I had my first ultrasound at about 8 weeks and loved seeing that heartbeat. Seeing that somehow made it all seem real. At about 28 weeks I had a second ultrasound where we found out we were having a healthy little boy!! I just knew it was a boy, can't explain it, just knew. Nick was so excited, he wanted a boy so badly.

At the end of my pregnancy I swelled so much, it sucked!! One week I gained six pounds of fluid! But, I never had any other problems. I started dilating around 37 weeks. By the end of 39 weeks I was 3 cm and Ethan's head was "right there" as my doctor put it. She put me on the schedule to be induced the next week, as I saw her on a Thursday. My due date was Saturday and she didn't think I would make it the following Tuesday for induction. I felt like I was going to be pregnant forever! I couldn't wait to me my baby boy!!

Friday night Nick and I got some movies. I wasn't really hungry, so I opted to have a Frosty (big one at that) from Wendy's. We started the movie at around 10:00, about an hour into the movie I noticed I was having pains in my lower back. I told Nick about it, but thought it wasn't contractions because I couldn't feel anything in my belly. Well, he started timing my back pains and sure enough figured I was in labor. He was worried we wouldn't make it through the movie. I was supposed to call the answering service and wait for a doctor to call and give the green light to head over to the hospital. Well, just my luck, the answering service wasn't answering!!

I wanted to wait, but Nick insisted that we head to the hospital. It was just before midnight. We got to the hospital close to 12:30, still not having any major pain. Checking in the nurse asked my due date, which I happily replied "today"! She said "well, you're still smiling, let's check you and see how far along you are", indicating that I probably wasn't far. Well, much to everyone's surprise I was 5 1/2 cm! The nurse putting my IV in couldn't believe that he was my first baby. She offered my and epidural since I was so far along already. No pain yet, but bring it on!!

Later, I finish my story. :)

No comments: