July 21, 2005

Ethan's Birth

After the wonderful epidural we just waited for Ethan's arrival. We should've gotten some sleep, but who could sleep we were just so damn excited! The doctor on call (not my OB) wouldn't let the nurses break my water, which to this day is I think so he could get some sleep. The nurses were in such awe that my bag of water wasn't breaking on it's own. I was like a freak show because they all kept coming in to see it because it was just bulging (I guess, I didn't look) out of my cervix.

At about 6:15 am they finally broke my water because I was fully dilated. The nurse wanted me to start doing some practice pushes. She instructed Nick to grab a leg, cause it was time to work. Later he informed me he didn't know if he really wanted to watch, but was glad she had him because he thought it was amazing. Well, after one push my nurse told me to stop, no need for practice pushes it was time for Ethan to join the world! She had kept saying she didn't think she would meet our baby because her shift ended at 7:00 am, after one push she decided she would get to meet him.

The doctor was on his way to the hospital. Everyone was racing around like mad, telling me not to push. My epidural had worked perfect because I felt no pain, but I sure did feel that urge to push. And for those of you that know that feeling know that you can't just not push. It was the first time ever I saw Nick nervous. He grabbed my hand and told me not to push that Ethan was right there and I was going to push him out onto the floor. I told him he better get down there and catch him then because I couldn't stop pushing! I told him to think about if he had to take the biggest shit of his life and someone was telling him he couldn't! I couldn't think of any other way to make him understand what that urge felt like. So, we were just waiting for the doc...

When the doctor arrives he's whistling away washing his hands and getting scrubs on. I finally crack and yell "I really need to push". He told me to go right ahead, he sat down in the chair and out came Ethan's head. One more push and the rest of him just slid right out, oh can you say RELIEF!!! Nick said he was no longer afraid to hold a newborn after the way he watched the doctor flip him around. He knew he wouldn't break. :)

Ethan cried for all of 15 seconds and then was as quiet as could be. We just sat there looking into each others eyes, I will never forget those first few minutes as long as I live. The nurse couldn't believe he was so quiet and alert. She kept saying "he sure does know your voice". Well, he should, he'd been listening to me for nine months! I had talked to him a lot while driving in traffic to and from work.

Now my first born is 5 years old and going to start kindergarten soon. This is for me so sad, exciting, and I'm sure will be one of the proudest days of my life. I am ready and so not ready for that first day to watch him get on the bus.

1 comment:

Jayme said...

What a great birth story! I really enjoyed reading it.