August 8, 2005

Normal Head

Ha! Ha! Bet I got you with the title of that one!

It's really not what you think. Ethan, my first born, was born with craniosynostosis. The sagittal suture line (runs down the middle of your head) was fused shut before he was born. Many people think it's the soft spots, but it's not, his soft spots were actually open. When you are born the skull is in several pieces and they fuse shut around teenage years, so that your brain can grow.

I found out when he was just two weeks old that he was going to have to have surgery or his head would grow in a very weird shape. And, they didn't know if it would cause any developmental problems if we didn't have the surgery. It was very devastating to me. He had to surgery at just nine weeks old. Those seven weeks of waiting were agonizing to me. I prayed hard every day that he would be ok. I was so scared, I just held him all the time and cried a lot. The most serious part of the surgery, besides anestheia, was if he would need a blood transfusion. So, my wonderful husband gave blood that would be there for the surgery if it was needed. I wasn't able to donate blood because it was to soon after giving birth. Plus, daddy and son have the same blood type.

I can remember the day of his surgery like it was still yesterday. Ethan's surgery was delayed a bit due to an emergency. So, I got to hold him longer, but still couldn't feed him - poor guy. We were in the "prep" area. There were so many children coming and going for surgeries. Most of them were there for ear tubes, it was like an assembly line. When they came to get my little Ethan I just lost it. It was the hardest thing I ever did, handing him over to a nurse to carry him down for surgery. It still brings tears to my eyes. I couldn't imagine my life without him, even though he'd only been with us a few weeks.

The surgery ended up taking much less time than they expected. The neurosurgeon himself came out to make sure I was ok! I told him not to worry about me, how was my baby!!! He was a great doctor and I am ever so grateful for him taking such good care of my baby.

So, today was a big check up before he starts school. And I am so glad to say that his head is growing perfectly!!! I was a little concerned about how lumpy it still is, but he assured me that it will still fill in (will always be a little lumpy) - probably not until he's 11 or so. So, we are done with the neurosurgeon. :) That is just a huge relief - whew!!!

No comments: