August 15, 2005

Immunization snob

I know I have been missing; we were up at my parents for a long weekend. I have lots to talk about, but not enough time right now. I have to unpack and get some laundry going.

But, I wanted to quickly post about something that’s been bothering me. A little boy Ethan went to preschool with has become a good friend. He’s been over many times for a play date. And we’ve done some outings together with all of our children together. I won’t get on my soapbox right now, but I am 100% FOR having my children immunized. I knew she had a very different parenting style than I do, but I am ok with that. What I didn’t know, until recently, is that she doesn’t have her children immunized.

I am very angry that she never informed me that her children aren’t immunized. It’s her choice as their parent, but Ian hasn’t been fully immunized yet. They don’t travel out of the country, but it doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have come in contact with someone who has been exposed or infected with something.

I think that the school(s) should inform parents that there are students in the school who are not immunized. And just for the record she doesn’t choose to not immunize for religious reasons. She said that she will say that so that her son can go to public schools. I have to say, I think I almost bit my tongue off trying not to say anything.

So, needless to say I haven’t scheduled any play dates. Does that make me an awful person?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I know there are people who don't for various reasons, but that is kind of scary. I too think that schools should be able to inform parents that there are un-immunized children in the class. I wonder what our rules are here in NY - I was told that they HAD to be (this was when I was considering foregoing the chicken pox vaccination)

imstacy said...

Andrea, I think you can choose religious reasons in any state. Many states have other reasons also.

I think some people don't understand how awful it would be to see their child get one of those terrible diseases and even die from one of them. My mom said when she was a child my grandparents worried every time they got sick about polio. Not something I want to worry about. :(