December 21, 2005

The Check-up

Yesterday was Ian's big one year check-up. I was concerned about putting him on the scale. We had done a weight check in between his 9 month and 12 month and he did gain a few ounces. But since his weight check in November he had decided he wasn't that interested in drinking formula. The only bottle he really would drink was his bedtime bottle. While most people are excited about their children giving up a bottle by themselves, I was concerned.

Thankfully, he did gain a little more weight. He went from 16 lbs 14 oz to 17 lbs 4 oz. He is still very small for a 12 month old and his ped is a little concerned because he's not moving up the scale for weight. As a matter of fact he's starting to drop on the scale. He fell below 5% for weight, is that even possible?? Now, believe me, he certainly doesn't look that skinny. He does look like a little peanut, but not like he's starving! She's not quite as concerned because he's still going up the scale for height and head circumference. Although, he's only 27 1/2 inches, like I said a little peanut. His ped suggested we try getting him to drink Pediasure since he'll drink out of a sippy cup. This morning was our first try and he liked it, but didn't drink the whole can. We are starting out just trying a can a day. So, I'm hoping he'll finish it with his lunch.

Aside from his weight he is doing outstanding! Healthy and happy. :) Couldn't ask for more right? I still have to post some birthday pictures. The batteries in the camera died and I need to get some more. I promise to do that soon, I've just been picking some extra hours up at working helping out because it's sooooo busy.

His birthday party was a lot of fun, even though a few important people couldn't make it. I didn't do a theme. I felt a little bad, but after the other two boys I know he really could care less and with it being so close to Christmas I was all about what I found on sale. :) Anyway, I ordered his cake from Super*Target. It had Pooh on it and came with his own matching little smash cake. :) Although, he had no interest at all in smashing it. He was actually very neat and clean about eating his cake, despite our efforts to get him to dig in to the cake. Only his face and hands got dirty.

He received some wonderful birthday presents, even though he didn't need anything. Not in need of clothes or toys. So, it was nice that grandparents gave bonds. Especially now when he really could care less about what he gets. I think his older brothers were more interested in his new toys than he was, oh well. :)

Ian is such a happy little boy. I love when he gets up in his crib and is just chattering away and I go into to see him just smiling at me. It makes my heart just feel like bursting! He loves when I sing "You are My Sunshine" to him. I'm so glad he doesn't know good singing yet - LOL! He is crawling and pulling up, but no steps yet. He will let go of things and be standing by himself, but as soon as he realizes that he drops to his knees. Both Ethan and Aidan walked a week after their first birthday, but I don't think Ian will be walking that soon. I'm actually hoping he does walk a little later. We are going to Disneyworld next month and I would rather he start walking after we get back. I could go on and on about my little peanut, I just love him so much!

He is napping, so I've got to jump on it to get some things done right now. After all those shots yesterday he's pretty clingy, so I'm not getting much done while he's up.

Later.....

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Ian!!! I want to see those new pictures!!

Lainey doesn't gain weight either. I think she has gained one pound in the past 12 months. Once she started crawling, she burned off everything she ate. Of course, she was a butterball to begin with and had some to spare. Now she's a scrawny little thing.

A friend's daughter was on Pediasure for a year and did great on it... other than it being so expensive :)